Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Daddy When Will You Make Me A Man?

Sometimes I ask myself, after a long day of seeming monotony what can be gleaned if we truly looked back at the days events? What can we learn from even the smallest encounter the most fleeting of sentences?

Today was just one of those aforementioned days in which everything was routine. My son found an old bag of lanyard (boondoggle, for those who also find that name hilarious) men I had made while still in high school, when he asked me what they were I showed him that they were little figurines made out of a special plastic string and promised to make him one of his own. All day he repeatedly asked me "daddy when will you make me a man?" , to which I replied that I'm working on it (I really was), and so it went for most of the day.

Looking back at today's events nothing sticks out, but when i think back to this seemingly simple back and forth between myself and my son I realize that this was just a condensed version of what my job as a father really is. "Daddy when will you make me a man?", really that is our greatest task as fathers, to raise our children to be men, who will do the right thing whatever the situation may be. What I need to figure out now is did my reply have any relevance to the broader meaning of this interaction or was it just something I said in the literal sense of what we were talking about? To this I have no answer, though I hope I did, and if not, well now that I have raised my own awareness to the deeper level of today's events I will surely try that much harder.     

1 comment:

  1. Moyse ur the best and thank u for the 'chizuk ' u gave me.
    We miss u and ur family and cant wait to see u

    ReplyDelete